We’re Omisians. And we’re firm believers that “payment acceptance” is fundamental to developing a successful business. We build tools and provide our clients with services that power more than just payments — helping them reach more buyers around the world, unlocking their fullest potential.
Our payment solution is simple to set up and works seamlessly across multiple devices. We take care of connecting and maintaining relationships with processors and acquirers which let our merchants focus on building great products.
Why we need you
Omise is a growing conglomerate with business units in online payments (Omise Payments), blockchain development (OmiseGO), and digital asset exchange (GO.EX) among others. The Japan Finance Operations Manager will focus on Omise Payments but will support the branch offices of the other business units until they are independently operated.
You will be responsible for daily reconciliation of transactions processed in payment gateway, managing merchant receivables and validation of bank statements and balances. Monthly accounting entries for P&L, balance sheet, and cash flows not required but must assist in supporting accounting team and should be well versed in reading and understanding financial statements -- P&L, balance sheet and statement of cash flows.
This person is responsible for implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls that will ensure that company assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in alignment with all financial policies and compliance requirements. In addition, general administration relating to office expenses and invoices will be required as well as ad-hoc support of business applications (visas, licenses, etc…), salary and payroll processing.
This position will report to the group CFO while working closely with internal operations teams and external accounting service.
Note: We can offer between JPY 350,000 - 600,000 per month, depending on your experience & qualifications.
What you will be doing
- Controllership over merchant transaction balance. Understand the payment flow of charges, chargebacks, and refunds between Omise, bank, and merchants and own daily reconciliation and monthly reporting to the accounting team.
- Support daily settlement transfer to merchant
- Investigate any discrepancies and work with operations team and external parties as needed to resolve.
- Document processes and ensure update to the latest security standards and operational flows for credit card payments, e-wallets, and other alternative payment methods.
- Oversee cash management/reconciliation, financial reporting, and balance sheet management.
- Management of accounts payable and receivables
- Accountable for ensuring that policies and procedures (internal controls) are in place to provide reasonable assurance that the company assets are protected.
- Involvement in due diligence and other activities surrounding VC funding.
- Responsible for proper timing and application of revenue recognition rules.
- Ensures that company financial records, under responsibility, are maintained in compliance with company policies and IFRS. Responsible for reviewing monthly/quarterly account reconciliations and other documents to ensure this compliance.
- Supervises the completion of tax reporting requirements (including income, property, sales and use, payroll and other local taxes), insurance reports and other reports required by government regulation.
- Establishes accounting operational strategies by establishing critical measurements, designing systems, and working with platform development team identify requirement gaps, automate processes, and implement change.
- Coordinates work relating to both internal and external audits in the periodic review of the company financial records. Is further responsible for the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings.
- Undergraduate Degree, Accounting or Finance related preferred.
- 3+ years of combined accounting/controller experience within a multinational business.
- Ability to work collaboratively across departmental functions
- Experience in banking. payment processing, or the credit card industry
- Strong knowledge of internal controls and financial reporting
- Excellent communication and leadership skills
- Proficient in MS Excel
- Experience with Xero accounting entry system a plus
- Languages - Japanese: Native, English: Business
Life at Omise
If you like to do things a little different and don’t play by the book - then come a little closer.
At Omise, we celebrate individualism and nourish a trust-based working culture. We give our employees the freedom to develop and we love to see our fellow Omisians grow with us.
We’re on a mission to achieve our goal, “Payment for Everyone”, and are working with some of the greatest minds in the business to achieve it. Growing with us means to get things done, think outside the box and excel in your profession. If this sounds like you, then get in touch today and take the first steps towards life at Omise.
What we offer
- Above market salary
- A nice and flexible work environment
- Flexible working hours
- A friendly bunch of colleagues